Do I Qualify For A Tummy Tuck?
A standard tummy tuck — also kn own as an abdominoplasty — removes excess skin from the abdomen. It is not a substitute for weight loss. However it is an extremely effective body contouring procedure that results in a flatter stomach, and, for many women, more defined curves, especially when combined with liposuction.
Who is a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?
Good candidates for tummy tucks include those who have experienced significant weight loss resulting in skin laxity and sagging, or women whose abdominal muscles have stretched due to pregnancy, weight gain or weight loss. Other great candidates for abdominoplasty are women with higher overall BMIs who would like a more “hourglass” shape and flatter stomach. Plus-size tummy tuck surgery, at least at Panacea, isn’t limited by a patient’s weight, but instead, their overall health. Finally, men with loose skin around their abdomen can be excellent tummy tuck candidates, too.
Tummy Tuck Qualifications
Those who qualify for a tummy tuck:
…have excess skin around their stomach and/or waist area.
A tummy tuck flattens the stomach and tightens abdominal muscles. However, abdominoplasties do not remove fat. Those more concerned with fat around their stomach and waist but who do not have much loose skin will most likely want to consider liposuction, including lipo 360, instead.
…are in good general health.
This does not mean that you need to be a certain weight, or under a specific BMI. However, you do have to be at a healthy weight for you — one that you are able to maintain without an extreme diet or exercise regimen. It’s also important to remember, again, that a tummy tuck will not remove fat, so those with extra around their middle who are also overweight may need to consider large-volume liposuction as well to achieve their goals.
…have realistic expectations about tummy tuck surgery, recovery and results.
Abdominoplasty is considered a major surgery, there is a significant amount of recovery time, and results appear gradually as you heal. While your 1-week “reveal” appointment to see your initial results can be pretty incredible, know that full tummy tuck results take at least 6 months, and complete healing and flattening/lightening of the scar can take up to 18 months.
…are not planning on losing more weight.
Patients should be within 5-10 pounds of their ideal weight at the time of surgery. Losing a significant amount of weight after a tummy tuck can result in more loose skin.
…are finished having children.
Pregnancy stretches the skin and abdominal wall, which will most likely reverse the positive results of an abdominoplasty.
Types of Tummy Tucks
There is more than one type of tummy tuck for which patients may qualify, including:
- Mini tummy tuck: For individuals with only small amounts of loose skin below the belly button, and without as much laxity in the abdominal wall. It involves a smaller horizontal incision and doesn’t tighten muscles to the same degree as a full tummy tuck.
- Standard abdominoplasties: For average weight individuals who wish to remove excess abdominal skin and tighten their abdominal muscles. A long, low, horizontal incision is made that generally runs from hip bone to hip bone.
- Plus-size tummy tucks: For those individuals with BMIs in the “overweight” or “obese” categories. The incision is the same as that for a standard abdominoplasty in terms of placement.
- Extended abdominoplasties: Require a longer horizontal incision, “extending” past the hipbones and toward the back for those with excess skin around the waist/flanks, as well as their abdomen. This is often a good option for plus-sized candidates who are seeking an “hourglass”-style tummy tuck contour.
- Plus-size circumferential tummy tucks: For those who have excess skin around their entire midsection, circumferential abdominoplasty can provide dramatic results, especially when combined with high-BMI lipo and/or lipo 360. The incision is horizontal, encircling the hips along the same line as a standard tummy tuck, but extends completely around the front and back of the body. Circumferential tummy tucks not only remove skin, but can also help lift the buttocks, hips, and thighs.
Talk to Our Doctors About an Abdominoplasty
We want you to feel comfortable the second you walk through the door of our beautiful Inman Park, Atlanta office. Dr. Nour Abboushi & Dr. Kimberly Singh, Panacea’s founders, perform plastic surgery consultations both in-person or virtually over video conference. Our doctors get to know each patient as individuals, with their own unique surgical goals. At Panacea, we truly believe “Every BODY deserves respect.”